Tuesday 23 October 2012

When "give it all you've got" isn't beneficial

WOW - I ache! DOMS is making every day tasks pretty difficult this week - I'm not complaining either, I like it :)

So, todays post may be a bit scattered, I'm tired so I apologise in advance.

I'm going to be honest, last week wiped me out. This new program is hardcore and I think I underestimated how much rest I was going to need to recover adequately for this week. Since starting the challenge I have trained  6 days per week, sometimes training twice per day - Combined with a busy work schedule, trying to develop a client base for sports massage and personal training and trying to catch up with friends, this has left me on the fringes of burnout.
I can be very 'all or nothing' when it comes to doing something I am dedicated to and passionate about (and this challenge means A LOT to me) and I have taken the phrase "give it all you've got" a bit too literally!

Luckily I have spotted the signs early (as has my trainer) so can do something about it before it gets any worse and I do actually burn out. I can work through the physical pain barriers, preparing myself mentally and just pushing through, however things tend to affect me more from a mental perspective. My self-esteem drops, little things turn into mountains, I start to isolate myslef a bit, I don't sleep well and I generally start to pick holes in myself (not good when you are 6 weeks into bulking and looking a little carby!)

So; what am I going to do about it? A plan of action of course!
It worked well before so lets do it again. After all this is a big learning curve, it's about readjusting/tweeking to make sure we get the best out of ourselves.

Here's the plan for the next 2.5 weeks:
  • Take an extra rest day (it's perfectly acceptable to train 5 times per week)
  • Only train once per day (to stop digging deeper holes and allow my body to repair and grow)
  • Sleep when I need to - allowing myself to lay in on a weekend
  • Keep meeting up with friends - balance is important
  • Concentrate on the positives - how much stronger I am, how I can beast through a gruelling session and how far I've come not only in 6 weeks but in the last 5 years
  • Look at the facts - yes, my weight is increasing but my bodyfat has dropped from week 1and I am lifting heavier which means one thing, more muscle!!
Let's hope this plan of action is a successful as the last one. Keep positive, keep focused, keep learning and keep developing!

"A stumbling block to the pessimist is a stepping stone to the optimist" - Eleanor Roosevelt 

No comments:

Post a Comment