Friday 19 October 2012

Adapting to a new program

This week marked the start of a new 4 week program with my Trainer (I typically train with him 3 times per week then do 3 sessions by myself). He introduced me to a method called Escalating Density Training (EDT) and I absolutely love it!

I’m a competitive type, don’t like to be defeated, and set high goals for myself which has resulted in me leaving these sessions totally wiped out. I know for sure that I have pushed myself to the max every day this week, and my body has been telling me about it since the first session on Monday!! My hunger has been through the roof, I have DOMS in muscles I don’t even know the names of, and I have slept like a baby trying to get my body recovered (roll on rest day Sunday).

When I train I always put all my effort into it. I believe you only get out of something what you put into it; but the first week of something new is always a shock to the system – the body has to adapt, and QUICKLY! It just highlights how the body gets used to one type of training, and why it’s crucial to change variables such as weight, reps, sets or type if you want to continue developing – whatever your goal may be.

I can’t wait to see what adaptations have occurred this week when I take my measurements; and now I have set the bar high, I am going to have to dig a little deeper and pull out all the stops next week.

Let the good times roll!

No comments:

Post a Comment